Makerspace FirstAid Workshop - May 4th

• Hi Makers,

Is anyone interested in workshop on “Makerspace firstaid” - 2 or 3 hours on cuts, burns, chemical/fume exposure, electrocution, amputation, shock, a brief AED overview, and possibly a CPR refresher?

My wife is a Primary Care Paramedic with almost 20 years experience, and is also an instructor for St John Ambulance and Canadian Red Cross. She’s volunteered her time to put a workshop on, and the local Red Cross branch has agreed to allow their materials to be used for free for members. For non-members, $40 would need to go to the Red Cross branch. There would be no official Red Cross certification from this course.

Looking at the Makerspace calendar, my wife’s schedule, and the availability of gear, Feb 23rd would be an ideal evening for this.

Please let me know if this is of interest!

• Design Lab

@Torren, this is an awesome idea. There are plenty of Thursdays open in late Feb and a couple and a couple open in March if a Thursday evening would work for your wife. We have been trying to build up workshop Thursdays and this would be great. I have previously had my level 3, which has long since expired, and I feel like a refresher would be great so I am interested for sure.

While it might not seem like the sexiest workshop, maybe we could add some excitement by making the introductory workshop in a “Prepper Skills” series. Either way these are extremely important skills to have, and offering this kind of workshop goes a long way to encouraging a culture of safety and awareness at the space. I love the initiative!

• You’d be amazed at how cool basic first aid skills seem when you are trying to keep the magic red fluid inside. I’m in.

• Design Lab

@Torren great idea:

Id like to post this opportunity asap on the calendar and fb, upon your approval.

Need the following inf:
    Confirm short paragraph describing class
    Maximum class size?
    Duration: 7-9 pm on Feb 23.

Great stuff - thanks for initializing this!

I am in

• @Vaughn Let’s do Feb 23, 6-8 for Makerspace Firstaid (12 people), 8-9 for CPR/AED refresher (5 people based on number of dummies, or buddy up)

If 6 is generally too early, let’s shoot for 630 so there’s still time for CPR dummies and AED trainers.

Twila Manson, Primary Care Paramedic, and certified First Aid instructor, will conduct a First Aid workshop focusing on Makerspace activities.
    This workshop will cover:
    Treatment of Cuts, burns, chemical/fume exposure, electrocution, amputation, shock, falls/impact trauma (we have stairs…), and pre-existing medical conditions (allergies, epilepsy, diabetes)
    Prevention of the above
    Where to find the Makerspace First Aid kits

On a side note, we popped into the space this afternoon for a tour, and while we have some basics in the First Aid kits, we should add some more/better items. Twila will put together a list for us.

• Design Lab

For class size, I think less is more, in terms of the pilot format and cred going forward. Lets focus on getting the core trained up and then open the scope, as time and demand allows.

“Do less, better, more often”

• @Vaughn Great point. 6?

• @Vaughn Can you post this, with max 6 people in the workshop?

• Design Lab

Makerspace First aid
    6:30-8:30pm @ the Kamloops Makerspace
    Up to 12 people

CPR/AED refresher (5 people based on number of dummies, or buddy up)

Twila Manson, Primary Care Paramedic and certified First Aid instructor will conduct a First Aid workshop focusing on Makerspace activities.

This workshop will cover:
    Treatment of Cuts, burns, chemical/fume exposure, electrocution, amputation, shock, falls/impact trauma (we have stairs…), and pre-existing medical conditions (allergies, epilepsy, diabetes)
    Prevention of the above

Where to find the Makerspace First Aid kits

(posted on facebook and google calendar)

@Torren we can start a confirmed list on this thread. Please proof the text above and edit as nessessary - ill update the facebook post if need be.

Thank you.

• @Vaughn good to go!

• Count me in. Mine expires at the end of February.

• Design Lab

@megan.fenkhuber, just so you know this one does not come with an OHS certification. It is for the skills and not the recognition.

• The Red Cross and other materials that will be used are being provided by Thompson Nicola Training http://www.thompsonnicolatraining.ca/contact-us/ free of charge, so if anyone does need a new certification or renewal, please consider them, and do let them know you’re from the space!

• @Vaughn said:

For class size, I think less is more, in terms of the pilot format and cred going forward. Lets focus on getting the core trained up and then open the scope, as time and demand allows.

I would be interested, if there is still space. I do not have any first aid qualifications, but I do have red stuff I am interested in keeping inside.

• I am interested in this as well if there is still room

• Design Lab

Confirmed list for First Aid @Torren
    Feb 23, 6-8

@Chainmaildave
    @megan-fenkhuber
    @robert
    @arasbm
    @Vaughn
    @kile
    @pierre

Class is full - please rsvp asap if you cannot attend.

Miss this one and want to take the next one?
    RSVP here.

Thanks @Torren

• I’m interested provided I’m not taking a seat from someone who has never taken any first aid… My 1980’s training is probably pretty dated these days.

• Design Lab

@Vaughn, add me please

• I will not be able to attend as I am scheduled to work that evening. Please give my spot to someone else.

• Hi

@Chainmaildave
    @robert
    @arasbm
    @Vaughn
    @kile
    @pierre

are some/any/all of you interested in extending the session past 8 to cover CPR basics? We have CPR dummies…

[poll max=“1” title=“CPR” end=“982915200000”]

• Yes
    • No
      [/poll]

cheers,
    Torren