Members Meeting - Sunday March 19 2017 6pm-8pm


  • Design Lab

    Members meeting and casual potluck this Sunday Feb 19 at 6pm.

    @Kile will post the draft agenda soon - please chime in, anyone who would like to bring up anything specific.

    Thanks!


  • Design Lab

    Draft Agenda items:

    Pottery Studio proposal @vaughn
    The concept of developing a potters studio in the extra room upstairs, and renoing the 3rd floor bathroom in a kiln room. Amanda Eccelston (https://www.facebook.com/ClayChimera) is the primary driver, with support from other potters. Amanda has agreed to host several workshops and a drop in late March to help raise money. Can Makerspace devote $250 to the new floor and work table to get started? We have to do that anyway, whether the Potter Studio gets off the ground or not. Also, I have Timo and myself pencilled in to volunteer redo the floor a few Mondays from now, if we are approved. More at the meeting…

    Social Planning Grant update and discussion @vaughn
    We were approved for $1500 of the $6000 we were shooting for for the purchase of a 3D printer and design stations. We have to discuss how we can modify the plan to account for the shortfall - ie design stations? classroom upgrade?
    All good, but we need to adapt the plan and win yet again.

    Please add your draft agenda items, as required.


  • Design Lab

    Draft Agenda items:

    Report from board meeting @kile
    The board has done an assessment on what it considers will be its major work moving forward. The bulk of this work has been broken down into discrete chunks and distributed in the form of committees. Each committee is headed by a board member, who will report on the activities of the committee at each board and members meeting. Members are encouraged to volunteer for work on committees where there interests and skill set overlaps with the work of the committee.

    Building Committee @Bradley-Maker

    Membership Committee @kile
    Implementing a new solution for membership tracking is a pressing matter. Apparently we have been developing this in house, if someone involved could be there to speak to this that would be great.

    Fundraising and Events Committee @megan-fenkhuber

    Communications, Education and Outreach Committee @Vaughn

    All things financial @Grant-Fraser

    As @Vaughn said:

    Pottery Studio proposal @vaughn
    The concept of developing a potters studio in the extra room upstairs, and renoing the 3rd floor bathroom in a kiln room. Amanda Eccelston (https://www.facebook.com/ClayChimera) is the primary driver, with support from other potters. Amanda has agreed to host several workshops and a drop in late March to help raise money. Can Makerspace devote $250 to the new floor and work table to get started? We have to do that anyway, whether the Potter Studio gets off the ground or not. Also, I have Timo and myself pencilled in to volunteer redo the floor a few Mondays from now, if we are approved. More at the meeting…

    Social Planning Grant update and discussion @vaughn
    We were approved for $1500 of the $6000 we were shooting for for the purchase of a 3D printer and design stations. We have to discuss how we can modify the plan to account for the shortfall - ie design stations? classroom upgrade?
    All good, but we need to adapt the plan and win yet again.

    And other items as proposed below!


  • Design Lab

    Id like to announce a major donation.


  • Design Lab

    Art in the Park table for Makerspace? A no-brainer win, i believe.



  • I might be a few minutes late as i might have to stay at work until 5.30 as we have a very large party that is supposed to end at 5.



  • I won’t be able to make it to the meeting tonight, but I will be very interested on the discussion and look forward to reading the minutes here.

    Regarding the membership tracking system @toxuin has put an incredible amount of work in it and I recommend he should be part of the discussion about implementing the membership tracking system. He is busy, but please make the effort to set up a meeting with him. The last demo I saw from his work was incredibly cool. Better than anything money would buy us.


  • Holder

    I have a last minute item… I’d like to apply for the Cooperators community spaces grant, if theres time i can give a brief at the meeting tonight.
    See you all there.


  • Design Lab

    @jsonb do you happen to have a link to the grant app?


  • Holder


  • Design Lab

    Meeting called to order at: 6:06
    Present: @Bradley-Maker, @pierre, @Chainmaildave, Ashley, @Grant-Fraser, @megan-fenkhuber, @n0pe, @kile, @Vaughn, Cheetie, @jsonb, Steve

    Board Meeting @kile
    Kile described committee structure as outlined at last board meeting. Committee heads will report on the activities of their committees at each board and members meeting. Members are encouraged to participate in committees based on their interests and skill sets. The success of the committees will be dependent on member participation.

    Building Committee @brad

    • idea is to form systems to address cleaning (bathrooms in particular require attention), restocking, and other regular tasks around the space
      • maker mondays have been helping a bunch
      • chores/cleaning workgroup proposed
      • rotating chore list proposed
    • Brad asked for volunteers for general building committee
      • Darren, Megan , Pierre, Dave, Ashley volunteered
      • committee will meet Monday Feb 20, 5:15
    • Workspace coordinators have been proposed in the past
      • Confirmed: Pierre - Fabshop; John - Hackroom; Brad - Woodshop; Dave - Lounge; Megan - Craftorium; Vaughn - Design Lab; Ashley - Kitchen; Amanda - Pottery; Kile - Classroom
      • Proposed: Ron and/or Colin - Electronics

    Pottery Studio @vaughn

    • moved up agenda to be covered with building
    • developing pottery studio has been happening, to ensure success of the studio we must ensure that the charge is lead by potters
    • @Vaughn proposed to do flooring with Teemo, and then Amanda will lead two workshops w/out kiln support
      • will require $250 investment by the Kamloops Makerspace Society
      • this enhancement to the space will be beneficial for anything that moves into that room, even if the pottery studio does not move forward
      • @Vaughn moved to vote, Kile seconds
      • unanimously passed
    • Cheetie has a few questions on behalf of the pottery club
      • $1000/month target for revenue generation has been discussed as a reasonable payback in benefits to the space for undertaking the risk and costs of installation
        • this number is an initial benchmark intended to generate discussion
        • number will be subject to actual project costs for fit out (may move either direction depending on what is required)
        • the number is only intended to ensure that the pottery studio is cash positive for the space
        • may be reduced after capital investment is recouped
      • the actual structure of the agreement (numbers/payback cycle) will need to be agreed to by all parties before any renovation takes place that is specific to installing a pottery studio (i.e. flooring can go ahead as a general improvement, as well as any easily reversible changes required to host initial workshops, but larger scale modifications will require a more complete plan before moving forward)
      • potters will meet and then report back

    Membership Committee @kile

    • Priority 1 is implementing membership tracking system
    • future goals also include:
      • developing monthly newsletter for members
      • membership drives (overlap with Fundraising & Events Committee)
      • development of data tracking and analytics to find out what is and isn’t working at the space, according to the membership
    • Vaughn, Grant, Will volunteer for committee
    • @kile will contact Tony to meet regarding development of system
    • the idea of offering a discount to members who pay one year of membership at a time was put forward for consideration and potential future discussion

    Fundraising and Events Committee @megan

    • list of event participation has been put up online (HUGE)
    • standardize numbering/documentation of workshops would be great
    • looking for participation in developing fundraising
      • Jason, Dave, Chris for general fundraising/events
      • Grant, Vaughn, Kile for grant writing
    • other fundraising ideas
      • mass workshop night
      • paid “enhanced” tours that offer small projects and take homes (to take place on another night besides Wed)
      • conducting daytime workshops over spring break proposed
      • Vaughn moves for vote on hosting a Canada Day booth, Kile seconds
        • motion passes unanimously
      • Community spaces grant @jason
        • farm incubator program, CoK has land in Raleigh
        • March 1, deadline
        • more discussion required - Jason to start forum thread

    Social Planning Grant @vaughn

    • applied for $6000 - received $1500
      • issue with seed vs. capital grant, plus incomplete financials
      • enough money for one 3d printer, no classroom or design stations upgrade
    • Vaughn will follow up with: community futures, TRU Generator, TRU student innovation, Kamloops Innovation for possibly funding some of the shortfall to complete project as originally proposed
    • before we accept the money, Vaughn is to revise deliverables based on what would be possible with the decreased budget, and note that we will seek to deliver the project as originally envisioned, but this must now occur on an altered timeline and will be contingent on finding other funding

    Communications, Education, and Outreach @vaughn
    nothing to report at this time

    Financials @grant

    • accounts down ~$1200 since January
    • $2000 was repaid to Brad during that period (for fronting building damage deposit- thanks Brad)
    • budgeting and income projecting are a necessary capacity to build
    • it appears memberships currently covering about 1/3rd of expenses
      • more members or fundraising will be required to remain cash positive
    • SOP for accepting cash (donations/membership dues) was raised
      • construction of a dropbox for cash in progress, Grant will provide details when it is ready

    100th Hack

    • weeklong event proposed on the forum
    • Vaughn wants to build a ROBOT ARM during the week
    • Canada 150 tie-in?
    • Vaughn will keep building the plan on the forum
    • about 100kg of coffee should help with the event
    • lets try to get some $krilla for this (community partnerships/ donations)

    Major Donation Announcement

    • KMS tools has offered to partner with one of their suppliers to donate a table saw (~$1,300)
      • we must:
        • update website for sponsorships and add them (and possibly saw manufacturer?)
        • post a 4’x16” banner in the shop
      • Kile will lead the charge coordinating website updates
        OMG NEWSAWNEWSAWNEWSAW with a BIG BIG bed!

    Meeting adjourned 7:45 pm


  • Design Lab

    Members Meeting Mar 19 6-8 pm

    Draft Agenda (please edit this post to suggest agenda items, thank you)



  • @Vaughn
    Last item on the agenda: 10 minute tidy by everybody present. Find something to put away, wipe down, or sweep.


  • Design Lab

    There are two related topics that I have found myself thinking about a lot lately. I would like to add both of these to the agenda.

    1. Shop standards

    In order for a shared space like the Kamloops Makerspace to function effectively, there needs to be a common understanding of what the minimum acceptable standards are while working in a shop (by shop I mean any area at the maker space - be it for woodwork, lounging, design, crafting, what have you). I am talking about things like how you leave the shop behind you, storing ongoing projects so as not to impede the work of others, etc. I would like to have a discussion by members to see where the common ground is on this type of expectation, with an end to making some standards. I am talking about big picture things. Concepts that could apply to any shared space.

    Further to this, I would like to have a discussion about the coordinator roles that have been discussed. Some names have been thrown out, either by nomination or volunteer. Can we look at all of these suggestions and formalize a shop coordinator for each space that we have discussed? I feel like we have the right people in mind, lets enable them and give them what they need to make each shop all that it can be.

    1. Service work

    This came up at the visioning meeting in December, and I would like to bump it up again. The more time I spend at the space, the more I think that including a service work requirement as a condition of membership would be of great benefit.

    I would like to make it a clear expectation that members will perform some sort of service work for the space, on a semi-regular basis. I think it will go a long way to reinforcing the culture of community surrounding the space. I feel that by and large most members get this impulsively, and are coming through on it. I also feel though that including it into our core values and throwing it out while giving tours of the space will go a long way to framing how a potential member views and engages with the space.

    I think that the level and type of service should be left up to the individual. We are already doing things like maker Mondays. This is a perfect opportunity to say “if you aren’t sure how to fulfill your service requirement, then we recommend showing up for one Monday per month, oh, and we will feed you”.

    If someone feels their skill set would be better utilized elsewhere, then great! Teach a workshop, assemble a mill, help another member with their project, set up a massage table in the lounge, cook for hack night, be a community ambassador, use your key to schedule regular open times that drop-ins can rely on, build something that makes a shop better, empty a garbage, run a broom around on one of the six other days, DO WHATEVER THE fudge YOU WANT!

    Just do something…

    I get that people have lives and commitments, and I am adamantly against assigning a chore list to anyone. I really think this only works if you leave it up to everyone, individually, to decide what their service will be.

    Again, by and large, most members are already doing this. Lets formalize it so it is clear for those who aren’t. I really don’t think we need (or want) members that take significantly more than they are giving.


  • Design Lab

    Agenda Items:

    New Keyholders:

    @Ron_Ron
    Janet Whitehead (pottery room instructor/coordinator)
    Amanda Eccleston (Pottery Room instructor/coordinator)
    Cheetie Moulin (Pottery Room assistant)

    New drop-in:
    @karen (Karen Clark - Pottery)

    Pottery Room Update

    Education and Outreach Updates ( @vaughn )

    Building Areas Assessment ( @Bradley-Maker )



  • Nicholas would like to take his vacuum former project home. He is willing to refund the money that the makerspace put toward the former. He was paid $324.83 on March 16th 2016. He has put his own time and materials into it as well. Nobody else has stepped forward to finish the project and it is taking up room in the fab shop. I would recommend we let him buy it from us.



  • @kile: Regarding a service requirement… my concern is that it’ll cost us potential members who are scared off by the time commitment. I’ve talked to a number of Wednesday night regulars who would take a drop in membership but don’t do it because they’d feel obligated to show up more often than they have time for (mostly to justify the costs to their family members). This causes me some consternation, because those passive-income membership dues go a long way towards staying cash positive. Workshops can (but don’t necessarily) provide a pile of income at a time, but it is not steady money, and it is a ton of work to make them happen. If we could manage to keep the membership at a near break-even level, it’d be awesome to free up the effort that goes into keeping the doors open and the heat running for making awesome things, or fundraising for awesome toys.


  • Design Lab

    @pierre how then do we address the falling membership and income due to our inability to address foundation issues of cleanliness, organization and safety to grow the Memberships and Partnerships? What are your recommendations then for maintaining the building? Janitorial? Waste management? Shop upgrades? Tool Maintenance?

    @Kile is recommending a way to address some of that. I do not think that good members will mind coming to a Maker Monday or two to keep the Aspidistra Flying. Aren’t the best Members doing that now? Isn’t that what it will take to make this work?

    My understanding is that we are not anywhere near cash positive in terms of memberships. I have personally signed up THIRTY members who no longer come. Why? Because they cant MAKE anything. They cant FIND anything. The place is a MESS. And we need to find equitable solutions to change that and take everything to the next level, where everyone wins big.

    Guys like you and I can deal with the Pirate Ship model - 90% of other mortals can’t.

    As a collective Space, Members need to compromise, work together, be smart and organize.

    Thanks for listening.


  • Member

    I would like to add Stuart Wood and Director’s meeting vs. Makers meeting to the agenda. Destruction of equipment should be there too
    100th hack as well.
    Social Planning Grant/3d printer & lounge lizard.


  • Design Lab

    @pierre, in my opinion, if we scare off a potential member by telling them that they will have to clean up after themselves and tell someone in their network the makerspace is cool, I would call it a victory for the space on that particular member.



  • So, my two cents:
    I took me well over a year to commit to a membership, mostly because of the time constrains (shift work/family/home renos). I certainly don’t mind cleaning up after myself, and helping out where I can, but making mandatory donation of my time for other projects might be a deal breaker. Time is easily the most valuable resource I have, after my health (what little I have).

    As for non-returning members, has anyone formally polled or surveyed them? I’m sure there are a wide variety of reasons why people don’t continue. That data could be really valuable, if not eye-opening. I know other makerspace facilities exist. Has anyone met with admin from other facilities to discuss issues such as cleanliness, organization, safety, and membership attrition? Kamloops is the only one I’ve been to, so I’m not sure how they’re normally run.

    I agree that many of the rooms are in a state of disarray. Having better organization would be great. Having shop or area managers is a great idea. @Vaughn, thanks for the storage shelves in the entryway.

    That’s all, carry on.


Log in to reply