Members Meeting - Sunday March 19 2017 6pm-8pm



  • This is a new Board. They will roll with things or take action and change things. The previous Board did have a list of all people that signed up or signed a waiver. Most of them where contacted via email or by other contact. Most reason why people left was personal life issues.
    Moving away, too busy, and life just getting in the way.

    Summer 2016 I took ownership of the electronics room. Meaning that I try and keep it clean tidy and organized when I can. I have made some huge upgrades to it over time.

    I feel if people are weighing membership fees and how much time they can spend at the Makerspace. They should come on hack nights. Even that said. It might be hard to get people out of their house or to break their daily routine.


  • Design Lab

    Draft agenda for Member’s Meeting Sunday 6-8pm:

    Roll Call

    New Members:

    Key Holders - Further to the development of the Pottery Studio, we have 2 or 3 new Keyholders:

    Amanda Eccleston, Janet Whitehead, Cheetie Moulin (not sure if Cheetie is drop in or Key Holder)

    Plus @Ron_Ron is in for a Key!!! #win

    Drop In:

    Karen Clark

    Report on Plans and programs ( @vaughn )

    • Social Planning Grant - grant requirements, what 3D printer to buy?

    • Pottery Room development - Timo cabinet making, grant proposal, workshops, more from Amanda and Janet?

    • Wood Shop development - SawStop and air-cleaner donation by KMS, new cabinets and organized

    • Mud Room / Entrance development - New shelves, totes and clean-up. Bike hooks

    • Schools, Workshops and out reach report - Skeetch, CHOS, Insight, 4D, ProD’s, KTTA,

    Building Areas Assessment ( @bradleymaker )

    • Plan for assessing and organizing each area

    • Shop/Studio Co-ordinators confirmation and mandate

    • Organization, Cleanliness and Safety priorities

    Financial Report ( @Grant-Fraser )

    • Monthly income, expense and cash on hand

    • Projection for next 6 months at current income/expense levels

    • Recommendations for achieving sustainable membership and fundraising income.

    Vacuum Former discussion ( @Grant-Fraser )
    “Nicholas would like to take his vacuum former project home. He is willing to refund the money that the makerspace put toward the former. He was paid $324.83 on March 16th 2016. He has put his own time and materials into it as well. Nobody else has stepped forward to finish the project and it is taking up room in the fab shop. I would recommend we let him buy it from us.”

    Shop standards ( @kile )

    "In order for a shared space like the Kamloops Makerspace to function effectively, there needs to be a common understanding of what the minimum acceptable standards are while working in a shop (by shop I mean any area at the maker space - be it for woodwork, lounging, design, crafting, what have you). I am talking about things like how you leave the shop behind you, storing ongoing projects so as not to impede the work of others, etc. I would like to have a discussion by members to see where the common ground is on this type of expectation, with an end to making some standards. I am talking about big picture things. Concepts that could apply to any shared space.

    Further to this, I would like to have a discussion about the coordinator roles that have been discussed. Some names have been thrown out, either by nomination or volunteer. Can we look at all of these suggestions and formalize a shop coordinator for each space that we have discussed? I feel like we have the right people in mind, lets enable them and give them what they need to make each shop all that it can be."

    Service work ( @kile )

    "This came up at the visioning meeting in December, and I would like to bump it up again. The more time I spend at the space, the more I think that including a service work requirement as a condition of membership would be of great benefit.

    I would like to make it a clear expectation that members will perform some sort of service work for the space, on a semi-regular basis. I think it will go a long way to reinforcing the culture of community surrounding the space. I feel that by and large most members get this impulsively, and are coming through on it. I also feel though that including it into our core values and throwing it out while giving tours of the space will go a long way to framing how a potential member views and engages with the space.

    I think that the level and type of service should be left up to the individual. We are already doing things like maker Mondays. This is a perfect opportunity to say “if you aren’t sure how to fulfill your service requirement, then we recommend showing up for one Monday per month, oh, and we will feed you”.

    If someone feels their skill set would be better utilized elsewhere, then great! Teach a workshop, assemble a mill, help another member with their project, set up a massage table in the lounge, cook for hack night, be a community ambassador, use your key to schedule regular open times that drop-ins can rely on, build something that makes a shop better, empty a garbage, run a broom around on one of the six other days, DO WHATEVER THE fudge YOU WANT!

    Just do something…

    I get that people have lives and commitments, and I am adamantly against assigning a chore list to anyone. I really think this only works if you leave it up to everyone, individually, to decide what their service will be.

    Again, by and large, most members are already doing this. Lets formalize it so it is clear for those who aren’t. I really don’t think we need (or want) members that take significantly more than they are giving."

    Stuart Wood ( @Chainmaildave )

    Director’s meeting vs. Makers meeting ( @Chainmaildave )

    Destruction of equipment ( @Chainmaildave )

    100th hack ( @Chainmaildave )

    Lounge Lizard ( @derpko )

    10 minute cleanup ( @Grant-Fraser )



  • I won’t be able to make it to the meeting, all the new babies on the farm are keeping me very busy. But I wanted to say a few things based on the agenda I see posted.

    Awesome new list of keyholders

    Congratulations to Amanda, Janet, Cheetie and @Ron_Ron ! that is an awesome list of new keyholders.

    Mudroom transformation

    I managed to come in today briefly and saw the new state of the mudroom, and wow what a difference! It is clear Vaughn is pouring his heart into the space and putting a ton of work into it. Member storage has always been an issue and I have tried to help metigate it in the past. Now with this new elegant storage implimentation we will have a lot more storage space for everyone and it will be consistant. When you work on a project you can take your bin inside and grab all your tools and material, and when you are done, pack it back into the bins. I absolutely love it! It is great to see a lot of members emberacing the change (I know it is not easy, specially with everyones busy lives), but it is definitly a huge upgrade. Also, the new organized mudroom will definitely help us make a much better first impression when we give tours!

    Makerspace members are stakeholders

    I just wanted to say I feel that as a member, I am still responsible for the space and I hope that everyone else feels the same. We are not clients of a “business”. This organization was made as a not for profit from day one because we wanted to create a resource for ourselves, that we directly control and shape. All members own makerspace and should feel and act so. It is ours to make, expand, design, improve and protect. We all have busy lives and not everyone will be able to be there all the time to help out, but when you get a chance to go to the space and use it, making a bit of time to contibute something, in an area you care about goes a long ways.

    I also wanted to echo the comments @Ron_Ron’s made above that really resonate with me. Don’t get hung up by comments about people leaving space or not joining because of this or that. Considering the resources we have had, we have been doing an amazing job retaining members. Instead, look at what people are doing and see if it is making the space a better place right now. To me this new mudroom upgrade is a perfect example of an initiative that is imidiately making the space more usable for everyone.

    I feel like there are some really exciting times ahead for makerspace. Thank you to everyone, including the new board, the new members, and the pottery studio leaders, who are working so hard making makerspace a better place for all of us! Keep up the great work!


  • Design Lab

    @arasbm, we will miss you at the meeting, but as usual I appreciate your insightful and well reasoned opinion here. I like the idea of not getting hung up on the intangibles and focusing on the concrete benefits to the people that are here now.

    In fact I like it so much I would like to put it on a plaque in the lounge.

    Aras’ Razor
    An action that makes the space better for making, is a good action.

    Based on some posts here and conversations with a few members I would like to clarify my definition of service above. Maybe the words “service work” should be avoided as they connote time suck to many, but I started with the term, so I will try to explain what I meant here.

    To me a member who 1) pays their dues, and 2) leaves the shops no worse than they found them, is performing a service to the community. They are helping to keep the doors open and the lights on, which makes our resources available to the public, and are not impeding the ability of others to work in the shop. In my eyes this would be the bare minimum for “service work”, please note that if you do not use a shop there is zero time investment here (and if you do use a shop and aren’t a <fill_in_the_blank>, then you will do this anyhow). If you do not pay your dues, then you are not a member, so both items should be very easy for members to fulfill.

    I would go one step further and recommend that if people can find the time, then they should do 1), and for 2) leave the shops BETTER than they found them. Again most people do this anyhow. On a daily basis I reap the benefits of many peoples actions that have created the amazing space that we have now. The definition of better would be totally up to the member in question, it could involve a shop or tool improvement, or even something as simple as sweeping up some mess that they didn’t make while they clean up after themselves, or emptying a full garbage that includes other peoples trash instead of balancing their garbage on a towering game of rubbish Jenga.

    I think that we should be encouraging people to give back to the space based on the benefit that they are personally receiving. We already do this, and it is what makes the space work as exceptionally as it does and continue to grow and improve. This point is important enough that I feel like we need to bring it front and centre and showcase it as much as possible. To me, this is one of the key points in the strength of our community, and should be vocalized in the culture that we make here.


  • Founder

    Good morning everybody.

    Thanks all for your input. The agenda looks in order if maybe a bit full, but what else is new. It’s why I’ve always voiced that we should have more short meetings instead fewer marathon ones as best can be afforded by the involved individuals time constraints. I think the current arrangement of directors, memebers, and scattered committee meetings is working well, although it feels to me like we are playing catch up temporarily.

    I don’t have much concrete data as far as to whether or not cleanliness has been a barrier to membership. It sounds like some of us do. My intuitive sense is that space cleanliness is absolutely, certainly a barrier generally. It has caused plenty of interpersonal friction over the past year or so, and I could easily name a couple of members that have left due to that friction. My personal experience starting late last winter and spring was that running workshops in the kitchen always involved a huge amount of cleaning up in order to make the space work and be comfortable for guests. That added chore added to the stress, and eventually led to my biggest helper in that regard leaving, and is a big factor in why I no longer run those workshops. I’d like to start doing them again, and this is the biggest variable holding me back from pulling that trigger. The woodshop was similar. I had plans to transform the space, but I had a lot of other things going on, and I couldn’t spend enough time to be constantly cleaning up in order to use the space to actually modify the space. I’ll acknowledge that I like to puzzle things together slowly which obviously compounded the problem. I have had many hard lessons in the way I do things and have modified my plans and way of working to suit. The general friction around this issue was exhausting for me and is one factor in why I was scarce around the space the last half of last year.

    It comes down to respecting the other people that use the space. Always keeping in mind that this is a community space, we share it. With other human beings. Other people that are different from us, have different expectations, dreams, plans, and uses for the space.

    Further to that it comes down to respecting the organization itself. I made my opinion clear during discussions this time last year a few times that we needed a space that other groups, children, city officials, inspectors, guests, and other active members of the wider kamloops community can come into and feel comfortable. As much as being inclusive is in our values, the hard facts of WHY the space needs to be welcoming and usable, first and foremost, is cashflow. Unfortunately most people who want to be involved are going to have a certain threshold of cleanliness and organization that they are willing to tolerate. On the flipside, if the space perpetually looked like it did 6 or 8 months ago, eventually the only people we would be able to attract are those willing to perpetually put up with the space looking and functioning that way, and unfortunately in this world money is necessary, and money does not flow towards apparent mess and disorganization, as much as it does create a shit ton of both. My prediction remains what it was last spring, if we can’t clean up and get organized, then cashflow will dry up. I just had a difficult and painful master course in mess and disorganization creating a catastrophic cashflow issue.

    I find that cleanliness also has a lot to do with self-respect.

    They also say it is next to godliness. But what do they know?

    However, the little bit I was able to make it in this past week, I’m extremely impressed and massive headway has been made. Thank you to everybody who put in time, elbow grease and cash to make that happen. Let’s keep that rolling.

    @kile, @pierre and others concerned with the proposed service requirement on either side, I’ll reiterate as I have been since the beginning that there is a ton of infrastructural creation and maintenance to be done around the space and I’ve always been for a program for organizing that effort, including things like chore obligation, an hours bank, chores in return for discounts, etc.

    @kile you mention that perhaps you need to “re-brand” your proposal, reframe it. @Sue conducted a major effort to go back through the history books and collective memory to get a rough record of how many volunteer hours were put into the space over the first year. There was some amount of admin put into trying to track that going forward, but as far as I know that ship, like so many others, never really made it out of port.

    So what if instead of creating a service obligation, we simply obligate everybody to log the service they are most likely already doing? Instead of nagging each other about chores, we work together to create a story of what we do, how we do it, dedication, and hours of elbow grease. This way everybody’s service is on record clearly (or not I suppose) so there is no assumption or confusion. We also get a record of volunteer hours for grant apps. We get a lot of data for business planning. We get a historical record of the creation of the space to smile upon when we are all naked and famous or old and tired.

    It has been mentioned many times, and I’m paraphrasing obviously, that we need to nurture and grow a culture in which the space can thrive. I agree. Cultures are not created by force, they are slowly accrued through telling, sharing, recording and editing stories, more generally, through artistic expression.

    I think this would be a collab between the building committee and the membership tracking system. It seems like we need to, and are planning to be in more regular contact with the membership to be sure dues are paid on time, and given the content of this thread, it may not hurt to survey them each month, with a separate survey for leaving members.

    Perhaps surveys are just as disdained as service obligations. We all hate those cold calls. We hate them because we are being asked of our time to create value for a large corporation so that they can better get money out of us. This is a warm call, this would be taking a few minutes once a month to help create value for KM.

    I don’t see it as being a demand, “what have you done for us lately”, but more a chance for us all to define and get a pat on the back for what it is that we each uniquely do to create this amazing organization.

    I look forward to seeing you all this evening…



  • @Bradley-Maker Well said.
    Please let me know if I’m out-stepping my bounds as a noob around here.

    I like the idea of logging service time, but could it be beneficial for members to log time in shop areas as well? eg: a clipboard by the door in each room where a member could log name, in/out time, and personal/MK service/course work? It would help track volunteer time, heavy users, and perhaps identify how rooms are being used or misused? Not for the purpose of placing blame, but to solve problems and make the space better for everyone? It would also provide usage stats for funding etc? Just an idea…

    On a side note @Bradley-Maker, I’m willing to help organize the wood shop if you’d like a hand. I’m currently adding outfeed/assembly tables, dust collection and storage to my own shop.
    -R



  • @kile I appreciate the clarification that you’ve provided, sometimes it takes a few rounds of written word to get your exact intent across. I think the word “proportional” might also ease some concerns. If you’re at the space for a monthly workshop and the occasional hacknight, I don’t feel that anyone expects you to be there every other Monday (but awesome if you can!).

    Despite my best efforts, I’ve never spent anywhere near the amount of time at the space that I’d like to, however I apply the camping/hiking “pack out more than you pack in” philosophy and always try to lend a hand. It takes just a few more minutes to sweep the whole woodshop rather than just “my work area”.

    Random fact: We moved to Kamloops a little over a year ago. I work from home, and my wife is a paramedic. We could have moved to any city or town in the province. Kamloops was on our shortlist, and got my vote because of the Makerspace. I’m looking forward to spending more time at the space in the future, both making cool things and contributing to the space. I’m excited by, and thankful for, the progress that is being made!


  • Design Lab

    That was a good meeting - thank you for everyone’s efforts, talent, skills, patience and inspiration.

    2_1489992917887_20170319_182708.jpg 1_1489992917886_20170319_182705.jpg 0_1489992917886_20170319_182718.jpg


  • Member

    It was good to meet more of you at the meeting! Sorry I had to leave early to pick up my husband.


  • Design Lab

    March 19 Member’s Meeting Minutes

    Roll Call
    Meeting called to order at 6:15
    Denis, Jason, kile, Vaughn, Nick ,Beth, Denis, Amanda, John, Dave, Karen, Ashley, Pierre, Megan, Roland, Steve, Chris, Heather, Aaron, Grant

    Chair: Brad, Notes: Kile

    New Members

    • New Keyholders
      @Ron_Ron, Amanda Eccelston, Janet Whithead, Cheetie Moulin

    • New drop-ins
      Karen Clark

    Report on plans and programs (@vaugh)

    • Social Planning Grant
      We will use approved amount to purchase 3d printer. Discussion around unit to purchase is Prussa i3, we can purchase now if we have the cash resources, last time the social planning grant took about 2 months. Dave offered to cover the printer in the mean time. Tony has previously said he will assemble ASAP on delivery. There are grant requirements, CoK logo must be used, financial reporting requirements, completion of classroom.

    • Pottery room
      Timo is KILLIN it. Floor is complete, table and cabinets underway. Everything else is according to plan. There is a Kamloops Art Grant application in process for funding the clay space. Amanda has booked some workshops 1) large coil pot workshops (2 dates). 2) drop-in workshop on the wheel. Janet also has two workshops planned in April. Proceeds from all workshops mentioned above will be donated to the space for installation of the kiln room.

    • Woodshop
      Sawstop donation from KMS Tools, plus air filter (~$3200 value). Cartridge has already been set off, appears to be a malfunction. New saw table and cabinets, plus other table have been installed. Again, huge props to Timo, and everyone who has helped him.

    • Mudroom
      New tote system is in place. All members are entitled to storage space for 2x 101L totes. Totes are lockable, and the KM vinyl decal system allows for anon

    • Schools, workshops, outreach
      Sketch, Insight, 4D all have been using the space. CHOS will be having makers tech programs off-site. KTTA has requested KM to present to teachers on a pro-d day. Great opportunity, requires that the space be presentable to host SD73 on the day of the event. There are public expectations in regards to cleanliness. Makerlabs and others in in Van were used as an example of a Makerspace that works for the public. Denis noted personally he does not currently use the woodshop to due to constantly cleaning up other peoples mess. In the clay space cleanlines will be essential. Anyone using the clay space should mop floors or dust will become an issue.

    Building Areas Assesment (@bradley-maker)

    • Building committee has met and discussed establishing SOP’s for all spaces. Everything needs to be made EXTREMELY easy for people to assess and follow. An evaluation of all spaces is in progress.

    • Shop Coordinators
      Confirmed at meeting:
      Brad, Woodshop
      Pierre, Fabshop
      John, Hackroom
      Megan, Craftorium
      Vaughn, Design Lab
      Amanda/Janet/Cheetie, Clayspace
      Kile, Classroom
      Ashley, Kitchen/Mudroom

    Electronics - Ron-ron and Colin nominated, not present to confirm

    • Security
      Strikeplate is installed for RFID, system should be testable soon.

    Financial Report (@Grant-Fraser)
    Just over $4500 in the bank, about 2 months operating costs. Incoming funds less than outgoing over the month, and the quarter. Good news is higher balance than last year this month, and higher membership income over this quarter (nearly double). Non-profits should aim to have 6 months in the bank, KM hasn’t been there yet. For us this would mean nearly $25,000 in the bank. Higher memberships should be pursued. To play the bills on membership we would need 30 drops ins and 30 key holders would fulfill this. Cleaning and organizing will be required to attract more members. This would also help attract more Insight-style partnerships.

    • Cash handling procedure
      Grant to prepare notes on which receipt book to use, and label the books for convenience
    • Parks and rec partnerships were suggested. Activity guide add for hacknights was suggested. Specific workshops have been discussed.

    Vacuum former discussion
    Nicholas donated tools for a project that was never completed in the space. He would like to take the donation back and complete it at home. He will reimburse the space for all costs incurred on the project. Grant, motion to sell back to Nicholas, Vaughn second. Passed unanimously.

    Shop standards
    This has been discussed above. Kile, motion to make a policy that “Shops should be left no worse than you found them”. Discussion about formalization of policy and SOP’s ensued. Motion suspended. SOP’s relating to the establishment of policy will be addressed by the membership committee.

    Service Work
    Again, this was discussed above in general terms. Rough consensus seemed to be addressing minimum standards with SOPs and shop coordinators, and encouraging people to do more. The issue of specific policy to address this was left open.

    Director’s meeting vs. Makers Meeting
    Some members feel that policy is being dictated at board meetings without buy-in from membership. In-depth discussion pursued. The intent of the board is to execute on issues where the will of the membership has given them licence to do so. The will of the membership must be based on a consideration of all members, and not only a minority that is vocal about specific issues. The issue will be discussed at the next Director’s Meeting, and the results of that discussion reported back at the next members meeting.

    Destruction of equipment
    Dave donated a radial arm saw to the space. Kile removed it via a controlled drop down from the second floor, as he believed it was to be scrapped. Forum posts were made, no one responded. This event was certainly not willful destruction of working equipment. Doaucracy, $h!t happens. SOPs for accepting donations and equipment tracking will help.

    100th Hack
    What are we doing here? Robot arm? Solar-powered kracken? We need to celebrate this! Retrospective? @nicholas will help here. Megan will front this one in terms of figuring details 100 hour hack is new plan.

    Lounge Lizard
    Computer folks will sort out computers.

    10 minute cleanup (@Grant-Fraser)
    Grant begged people to clean. Most folks complied.



  • Whenever the next meeting is, I’d like to be considered for keyholder status.

    cheers,
    Torren


  • Design Lab

    @Torren, awesome I will vouch for you. I’ll be making up a post for the next meeting and proposed agenda soon. We will make sure that is at the top.

    Should happen on a Sunday in Mid April


Log in to reply