48 watt, 3A Solar panel and AC converter to donate

• Design Lab

@Lawrence that is awesome! I would like to see it used on a project that the space could set up as a demo at events like Canada day, the farmers market, etc.

The idea of using it with a 3d printer for this purpose was brought up, but it is my understanding that we would have to charge the relevant battery anyhow, and the panel would only provide some top up juice throughout the day for this use.

Any other ideas for an eye catching build?

• We could make an ultimate phone charging station for riverside park. There are 4 pokes stops there at the parking lot. On Canada Day there would be hundreds of people playing in that corner by the flood marker.

• I might be able to talk my boss into providing free wifi there too. We have done it at a number of other events in town.

huge kinetic contraption

• Solar-engine marble machine. But sized for bowling balls.

Now we’re getting somewhere, how about an automated bowling alley and it hands you out a beer while it loads up the bowling balls and strikes out.

• Design Lab

If we could get the phone charger, internet, and solar marble machine all working together from the panel, THAT would build some hype for sure.

I don’t know about the weight of a bowling ball, but if we have the vector for that solar marble machine we could just cut one out of 3/4 ply. Then the ball would have to be 3 or 6 times larger than a marble (don’t remember if it is 1/4 or 1/8 for the original). Spheres are pretty easy to come by.

Oranges might be fun. Maybe we could have a big stockpile of them rotating through the machine and then do orange julius’ using the blender bike?

• The machine needs a heavy base and a pole as a starting point. Does anyone have one of those basketball stands that you fill with water? Any water ballast thing would work but this is a premade setup.
    Next idea is a Fresnel Lens or mirrors to increase power.
    I think making something that looks like an octopus with suckerpads for resting your phone.

• Be very careful about putting a fresnel lens in the sun in Kamloops in the summer. For the love of all you hold dear, don’t leave it unattended, and have a plan to cover it and put out the resulting fires.

• I was thinking more along the line of those page magnifiers. It would help with catching the sun at an angle. Or maybe a better idea is a solar tracker to have the panel follow the sun.

• So… nothing nearly as awesome as the Ray Brandes Heliostat/solar foundry:

http://www.foundry.ray-vin.com/fusion/fusionstory.htm

I’d love to have a steam-turbine generator that uses a heliostat to flash boil water, and generate power…