48 watt, 3A Solar panel and AC converter to donate

• I might be able to talk my boss into providing free wifi there too. We have done it at a number of other events in town.

huge kinetic contraption

• Solar-engine marble machine. But sized for bowling balls.

Now we’re getting somewhere, how about an automated bowling alley and it hands you out a beer while it loads up the bowling balls and strikes out.

• Design Lab

If we could get the phone charger, internet, and solar marble machine all working together from the panel, THAT would build some hype for sure.

I don’t know about the weight of a bowling ball, but if we have the vector for that solar marble machine we could just cut one out of 3/4 ply. Then the ball would have to be 3 or 6 times larger than a marble (don’t remember if it is 1/4 or 1/8 for the original). Spheres are pretty easy to come by.

Oranges might be fun. Maybe we could have a big stockpile of them rotating through the machine and then do orange julius’ using the blender bike?

• The machine needs a heavy base and a pole as a starting point. Does anyone have one of those basketball stands that you fill with water? Any water ballast thing would work but this is a premade setup.
    Next idea is a Fresnel Lens or mirrors to increase power.
    I think making something that looks like an octopus with suckerpads for resting your phone.

• Be very careful about putting a fresnel lens in the sun in Kamloops in the summer. For the love of all you hold dear, don’t leave it unattended, and have a plan to cover it and put out the resulting fires.

• I was thinking more along the line of those page magnifiers. It would help with catching the sun at an angle. Or maybe a better idea is a solar tracker to have the panel follow the sun.

• So… nothing nearly as awesome as the Ray Brandes Heliostat/solar foundry:

http://www.foundry.ray-vin.com/fusion/fusionstory.htm

I’d love to have a steam-turbine generator that uses a heliostat to flash boil water, and generate power…