The Russians have done it again!

• Design Lab

Those fiendishly clever 3d printing Russians have done it again (@toxuin, I’m looking at you).

I don’t know what typical construction costs are in Russia, so it is really hard to gauge their numbers, but if you take them at face value this building would be about 1/10th the sqft cost of a typical home in Kamloops. That low seems unlikely, but it seems like this technology could be affordable enough to make a global market impact soon. Especially, considering that you can print a house on site in one day.

• @kile I’ve seen that video. The walls were built without forms which would be faster. The rest of the work like wiring and plumbing was still done by humans. The cement walls had no rebar or other reinforcing. Not sure if it will last as long as they say.

• Design Lab

@Grant-Fraser, it would be faster to build forms? I don’t think so. I’m no carpenter, but to my understanding forms with a radius are not an extremely easy task. It shows the reinforcing in the walls at one point in the video, they lay across the inner and outer traces of the walls. Same company had another video that is a bit older. They have improved some design elements and made it a lot cheaper and faster.

• @kile bad English. I meant that the building without forms was faster than building with them.

• Inflatable forms are faster, and you can install rebar before inflating.

I’ve seen some very interesting things using an air-gun to blast on paper-crete… You can blast the 'crete through the rebar and it’ll set against the inner form. You pull out the inner form, and blast again from the inside.

Also, why the hell would they 3d print a flat roof? If I’m printing a buliding, it is going dome-shaped. For obvious geometric structural reasons and snow-load.

• @pierre maybe they had a technical limitation and hit their maximum Z travel.

To me, it would be really interesting to use a more sustainable material such as hempcrete or even cob. The potential for saving energy and reducing carbon footprint is huge for a project like this. I am surprised why many more companies are not popping up everywhere experimenting with 3D printed architecture.

• There are other better systems for building with concrete. http://logixicf.com/ is a good example. The printed structure is primitive by comparison.

• I love the logix stuff. But what I really wish I could find a local source for AAC https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoclaved_aerated_concrete

About half the compressive strength of normal concrete, but it comes in big ass blocks and sheets, weighs closer to styrofoam than concrete and because it is about 80% air, it is a great insulator. If you ever see a dude walking around a construction site one-handing what looks like a thousand pound block of concrete, and drinking a coffee with his other hand, that’s what he’s hauling. And please stop and ask him who his supplier is, because I really want to buy some.

• I added a 2800 sq ft extension to my house using Logix (2 floors of 1400 sq ft each)
    0_1489702670086_rec_0374.jpg