Last year we informally started to assign Lead Hands or Coordinators for each space in the building. This year the board has formalized a committee structure, and the Building Committee has moved to solidify these roles.
Here is a list of those individuals:
(For some of you I don’t know forum handles, so if everybody could help me out by tagging those left untagged)
Woodshop: Myself, Bradley
Metalshop (formerly fabshop): @pierre
Hack Room: @MIPS
Electronics Room: @Ron_Ron
Design Lab: @Vaughn
Pottery Studio: @amanda_e , Cheetie, @Janet (right handle?)
Kitchen/mudroom: Ashley (handle?)
The intention is not to pile a bunch of work onto these folks. The overall goal is to create a network of communication and workflow (ala Heinlein’s ‘The Moon is a harsh Mistress’ for you scifi nerds) to make the operation more efficient and effective.
I will be coming up with SOP’s and job descriptions around this over the next few weeks, whether an overall role description or perhaps individual ones for each space should we find it necessary. I’d love your input.
Here is the basic expectation of those filling these roles, I have talked to many of you about this, some not. If you are NOT willing to fill this role, speak now.
- The buck stops at you. Please allow for the kind of open debate and do-ocracy that got us where we are today, but ultimately, you have the final say on what comes in your space, where it goes, how users of the space should behave, who cleans it, etc.
- Be a point of contact for members that have questions or concern about the space under your stewardship. The Building Committee chair (Myself, Bradley Maker) will be your fallback.
- Liason with the Building Committee. Bring questions, concerns, requests to the committee, and in turn receive the resources you need to allow your space to function effectively.
That list will likely grow and become more formalized and fleshed out over the next few weeks, hopefully with your input. When they are ready, I’ll be giving you each a role description and whatever SOP’s are ratified for your space.
In the near term, over the next month, I’d like to get a bunch of feedback from you all. I expect this to be a lot of back and forth in the near term to collect data such as the dimensions and square footage of your space, the tools and fixtures in your space, signage needs in your space, infrastructure needs, etc. The goal is not to create work for you! The goal is to help make the spaces in the building operate more efficiently, which will take a little outlay at the outset.
So please, feedback if you have any…
- If you want out of this role, now is the time to let me know.
- What shall you be called? A coordinator? Lead hand? Steward? I’m on the fence, but I find names to be important so let’s choose wisely.
I’ll be posting some forms and documents to this thread soon to make it super simple for you to get data to me.