Kamloops Makerspace Society Members Meeting
Attendees: Pierre, Ashley, Cole, Kile, Megan, Grant, Dave, Michelle, Kyle R.
Chair: Grant, Minutes: Kile
Laser Tube - Old tube has exploded, a replacement is required.
- Manufacturer recommends W4, this hasn’t been made since 2015. We have newer S4 installed. Kile to follow up with G.Weike regarding this.
- People close the lid too hard. Install signage, foam tape for shock absorbing, and update laser 101 training about lid.
- Pierre has looked into shipping from a US supplier, comparable in price to that from China. Waiting on a response for more info, then we will make a decision.
- Paying for this remains an issue
Rotary tool - Is in grant money from Clayspace,
- listing in grant is non-specific RE manufacturer.
- There is $986.34 remaining from project, and finishing the kiln-room remains a priority over this.
- Manufacturer of our laser does not have an “off-the-shelf” option available. Some construction of interface will be required.
Internet - @arasbm has stopped providing this. We need some.
- Thanks Aras for your generous donation of internet to the space!
- Pierre has some info, can’t get anything close to residential pricing.
- Megan will set up the deal tomorrow with advice from Pierre. Likely provider is Techsavy.
Current checking balance: $3,337
Remaining for 3d printer: $364
Remaining Clayspace grant: $ 986
- Rent is due next week ($2362.50). Hydro, gas and insurance are also due.
- Paid-up in last month: 8 drop-ins, 9 key-holders
- From Canada Day $890 was donated to the space.
- Hot night opportunity: $1,500 Requires 12 setup, 12 takedown and 4 all-day volunteers, plus people to run our booth. Megan to update forum post with volunteers.
- Megan to move forward on planning a fundraising dinner for mid to late September. Megan will look at locations, Duffy’s, Pizza-Pi, and Bailey’s suggest.
- Craft-season is coming, we should prepare for this. Laser will be essential for success here, lets get it back up. Megan and Michelle seem to be in the know regarding the crafty crafting circuit
- e-commerce for the space - An online store has been suggested as a method of fundraising in the past
Webpage - Technical people have offered advice about how the website should be set up, but not one has offered to take on the construction of a new page at this point.
- Using an online site builder such as square space would allow people with broader skillsets the ability to create and update the webpage. Square space also offers an online store option (see e-commerce above).
- Megan to look into square space. This will be the likely direction unless a committed volunteer arises to tackle the technical portion of the website.
- Coordination will be required to ensure that the forum is not interrupted if we decide to switch the website architecture.
RFID Implementation - No one with up to date info on the project is in attendance
- Getting something set up ASAP is necessary, an RFID door entry system, with a manually updatable db seems like a reasonable place to start.
- @ColeVanD has parts in the mail, but will interface with @toxuin and @Ron_Ron before doing anything on the building.
Dogs on couches
- No formal policy was proposed or voted on, however, by rough consensus an agreement was reached that members will make a best-effort to keep the couches clean, and minimize pets on them.
- Making a policy around this won’t keep the couches totally clean if we still allow people to use them, we should also make washable slip-covers for the furniture.
Space open coordinators - Pilot project
Pride parade - Inaugural Kamloops Pride Parade, Sunday August 20
- We will participate and march as a group. We will also get a booth for before and after parade.
- No-one wants to see @pierre in ass-less chaps.
- Hack-night Poster. Kile will make a poster based on flyer
- TRU Welcome back bbq. Costs $200, Pierre will look into sharing a booth with iTel.
Next meeting will be Tuesday August 8, at 6:30 PM